PANS and PANDAS Treated Naturally with Homeopathy
PANDAS – Paediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcal Infection.
PANS – Paediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome
PANDAS is triggered in children after Strep Infection; whilst PANS can be triggered by one of a number of other acute infections (such as Lyme, Flu, Chickenpox, and other viruses). The cause may differ but the symptoms of both are practically identical. It doesn’t always trigger immediately; it can sometimes take a number of months. The typical symptoms come on suddenly and rapidly and include OCD, anxiety and/or tics (motor or vocal). A list of symptoms include:
- Tics (can be motor and/or vocal)
- OCD, Obsessions and Compulsions
- Severe Anxiety & Panic Attacks
- Separation Anxiety
- Mood Swings – Angry / Anxious / Sad / Change in ‘normal’ personality
- Developmental regression (tantrums, change in handwriting, ‘baby talk’)
- ADHD & Difficult Concentration
- Sleep Disturbances
- Pains in Joints
PANDAS/PANS is episodic. The symptoms, such as OCD, anxiety and/or tics, improve and deteriorate dramatically. Usually a sudden and dramatic appearance or deterioration of symptoms, followed by a very slow, gradual improvement. Until the next infection…. then the cycle begins again.
The area of the brain responsible for voluntary motor control, procedural learning, eye movement, cognitive and emotional functions, and speech, is under duress in children with PANDAS/PANS.
The usual conventional medications used in PANDAS and PANS are Antibiotics (in high frequency) and SSRIs. These meds have their own adverse side-effects and can have a real negative influence on a child’s gut and immune system. This of course may lead to further complications further down the line. SSRIs are used for mood disorders – not many parents want these prescribed for their child.
Treating PANDAS & PANS with Homeopathy
The homeopathic treatment plan often involves more than just one remedy.
- The PANDAS/PANS should be directly dealt with using specific homeopathic remedies. This deals with the susceptibility to Strep and resulting symptoms.
- Remedies will also be prescribed to deal with any acute flare-ups experienced by the child during treatment. This is required while allowing the deeper level remedy to work. The frequency and intensity of the acute flare-ups will reduce progressively during treatment. Until they stop.
- Remedies to focus on Gut healing. These include remedies with an affinity for the digestive tract, and Bowel Nosodes.
- Remedies for any detox reactions that may occur. These usually involve some fever or mild rash while the body reacts with a healing response. Most of the time, no remedy is required for this.
To find out more information and to discuss your case in detail, you can book my FREE 15 min Skype chat, of full consultation, on my online calendar here.